Monday, October 10, 2011

From the beginning

September 2nd 2011 was our WEDDING DAY.
Three and a half weeks later we went to the doctor because his right testicle was swollen. 
He said, "That's peculiar" and sent him get an ultrasound the next morning.
Adam got a call an hour later telling him to come back to get the results. Adam said my wife gets out of school at five and I was going to go with her to get the results.
They said "No, you need to come in now."
He went in to get the results and I got a call at 1:00pm saying they think he has testicular cancer.
I drove home from school and picked him up, took him to the oncologist in Idaho Falls.
There they told us it wasn't good news and they would be removing his right testicle in the morning.
Be ready for surgery at 6:45am; nothing to eat or drink after midnight.
Without hesitation we went home and got some sleep and met the doctor at the hospital the next morning.

There he received his IV.
And we gave them medical insurance information.
And off to surgery he went.

 I sat and waited for an hour and a half with my brother. Eating SPICY NACHO doritos and sipping hot chocolate to keep our minds distracted.
The doctor came in and told us the tumor they removed was much bigger than they had anticipated. 
A little smaller than the size of a golfball. 
HOLY.
Then the doctor told me I could go see my sweet husband. And oh how sweet the general anesthesia made him.
 
and YELLOW.
and SLEEPY.
I was so sick of being in the hospital so I called one of my friends so he would hear me talking on the phone and wake up. Some say it's rude. I call it keeping my sanity. 
We left the hospital around 2:30pm and got home around 4:30 after picking up the medications.


We got the biopsy report back on Monday October 3rd 2011. This confirmed the testicular cancer in his right testicle. He was diagnosed with two different types of cancer. The doctor handed us the pathology report and didn't say much else due to the fact our insurance wasn't going to cover anything unless we get Adam back to California.

Yesterday we drove down to the Salt Lake City airport. Had lunch at the wonderful and fantastic IN-N-OUT and got Adam to the airport plenty early. He flew to Seattle and then landed in Sacramento a little after 9pm Idaho time. I'm so glad he made it home safe!
Today he went to the doctor where they told him things we already knew but with great assurance that everything was going to be okay. He has a full body scan to see where else the cancer has spread and what stage it's at. Needless to say we have been so so blessed by many loving and supportive friends and family. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

1 comment: